If your energy bill is higher than you’d like, there’s one simple item you can change in your home that could have a huge impact: lightbulbs! You may think the type of lightbulb you use doesn’t make much difference, but the truth is otherwise: Your house most likely has a lot of lightbulbs, so the overall effect will add up.
LED lightbulbs offer an array of benefits that can help you save money and reduce your environmental impact. Here’s a brief list of difference; LED light bulbs vs traditional light bulbs:
Why make the switch?
- Light-emitting diodes, more commonly known as LEDs, use about 75% less energy than traditional light bulbs. While traditional light bulbs release 90% of their energy as of heat, LED light bulbs produce little to no heat waste, making them a much more energy efficient light source for your home.
- Unlike traditional light bulbs that require reflectors and diffusers to direct light, LED light bulbs emit their light in a specific direction and do not trap any of it. This directional light is why LEDs are great for recessed lighting fixtures in your home. To put it simply, an LED lightbulb only uses 25-28 watts to produce the same amount of light as a 150 watt traditional bulb.
You know that yellowish glow from regular lightbulbs that makes everyone look bad? You won’t have to worry about it with LED lightbulbs! LED lightbulbs use a mix of red, green and blue LEDs to create the clear white light they give off. And if you feel like switching up a room’s ambiance, LED lightbulbs often come with color-changing options, so you can go from soothing blue to hazy red with the click of a button.
Prices down, savings up
- Because of their energy efficiency and light quality, LED lightbulbs are rapidly developing and easily accessible. From holiday lights to industrial lighting, LEDs produce bright directional light.are taking over the industry. LED lightbulb prices are dropping every year, so you won’t have to break your budget to add them to your home.
- Speaking of low costs, LED lightbulbs can help lower your monthly energy bill. The annual energy cost of a traditional lightbulb is $4.80, while the cost for an LED is only $1. Since they’re so much more energy efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs, LED lightbulbs can save you money over the course of their lifetime.
- Even though the initial cost of LED lightbulbs may be a little higher than that of traditional incandescents, LED lightbulbs last much longer – we’re talking up to 25 times longer – than incandescents. With a 25,000 to 50,000 hour lifetime, you can save tons of money with LEDs in the long run. Besides for the fact that LED lightbulbs use less energy, there’s another reason that environmentally conscious people should consider switching: LEDs are recyclable! CFL lightbulbs and traditional incandescents contain harmful materials like mercury, which means they must be disposed of safely so as not to contaminate the environment. LED lightbulbs, on the other hand, can be recycled at a proper facility.