I bet it is safe to assume you have heard plenty of things about renewable energy. With Energy Outlet, you have to Power to Choose from several different renewable energy plan options. If a renewable energy option interests, Energy Outlet can help you find the best option with low electricity rates. There are also several opportunities for you to choose where you would like your renewable energy to come from such as wind or solar. You can also choose the percentage of sustainable energy you would like to use for your home.
While renewable energy is a great resource to help reduce our carbon emissions, there are benefits and disadvantages to everything in life, even renewable energy. Here are some of the pros and cons of the major sources of renewable energy.
Wind energy, as you may assume, is harnessed from the wind. Turbines can covert when a breeze blows through them.
- No pollution created
- Little maintenance necessary
- Relatively inexpensive to build
- Wind needs to be blowing to generate energy
- Some say the towers are visually displeasing
- Creates noise
- Can be harmful to birds and other wildlife
- Requires a lot of land
Organic material such as plants, trees, or dead animals can create biomass energy when they are burned.
- Abundant and it can be used without interruption
- Carbon-neutral meaning it does not add any extra carbon to the atmosphere
- A great form of recycling
- Cleaner than fossil fuel
- Can cause air pollution
- Takes a lot of energy to produce
- Competes with food production
This kind of energy comes from flowing water. The flowing water turns turbines and generates electricity.
- Abundant where there are bodies of water
- Dams can create environmental concerns
- It is restricted to where there is water
Solar energy is harnessed from the sun. It used cells to convert sunlight into useable energy.
- Unlimited supply of sunlight
- Creates no pollution
- Relies on sunlight so it cannot generate energy when it is night or overcast
- More expensive than other sources
- Takes a lot of space to generate a lot of energy
- Pannels can create a glare